Friday, June 11, 2010

Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. ~John Dewey

Yes I AM still alive. This will be a short one, as I am at the school. Currently I am reading a packet called "The Process of Diagnostic/Assessment" with three diagnostic batteries that are each probably anywhere from 1-4 hours long. (Anyone familiar with the Test of Word Reading Efficiency, Woodcock Diagnostic Reading Battery, and Test of Adolescent Language-2??)Doesn't it sound like so much fun to be back in school?

Yesterday I had my three clients at 9, 11, and 1; saw 4 dead cockroaches; put back on the blue lab coat and name tag; began paperwork; met with 3 supervisors; resumed using words and acronyms such as ASHA, CELF, oral mechanism examination, aphasia, apraxia, TBI, pragmatic langauge, prognosis, cochlear implant, (and dare I throw out diadochokinetic rates?) etc...; and talked about beginning treatment summaries that are due in less than two months!!


Ooh, I can't forget that I also got to see all my girls again! I am lucky enough to be with 24 amazing girls who I really have missed over the past month!!

Does this mean anything to anyone? Probably not, I am sure no one cares even - but I am so so so excited! Every semester I am reminded how much I LOVE my job/school. It is exactly what I want to do! I can't picture myself doing anything else right now, and I'm so grateful that I have the opportunity to do it. I hope that this semeseter I can help one of my clients do something that they couldn't do before. I hope their life will be a little bit better because of something I was able to do.

2 comments:

  1. I am familiar with Woodcock Diagnostic Reading Battery, and I think the first one you said too. (Too long to type). I have given many a Woodcock test in my day.
    I am glad you like your profession so much! That is important.
    I'll see about taking some pictures of my ever growing belly.

    ReplyDelete