Saturday, February 20, 2010

“Marge, it's 3 AM. Shouldn't you be baking?” Homer Simpson

**disclaimer** I never actually have seen an episode of the Simpsons. I think one time in Psychology class we watched one clip, but thats it.

What a good morning! Yeah, its 8:30 and I am already posting. This morning a fabulous thing happened that made me SO HAPPY!! I got a call from my boss at 7:08 AM asking me to make treats for her to bring to a farewell luncheon. Thats my kind of job!
So here's the two recipes I made this morning in under 90 minutes: (yes, she only asked for one thing, but I panicked...what if the first one didn't turn out?!?!)



White Chip Lemon
Streusel Bars
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
2 cups (12-ounce package)
HERSHEY'S Premier White Chips, divided
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups regular rolled or
quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup toasted pecan pieces *opt*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon shortening

*To toast pecans: Heat oven
to 350oF. Spread pecans in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake, stirring occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown; cool.

1. Heat oven to 350"F. Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon peel in medium bowl; set aside. Measure out 1/3 cup and1/4 cup white chips; set aside. Add remaining white chips to lemon mixture.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed in large bowl until well blended. Stir together flour, oats, pecans, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, blending well. Set aside 1 2/3 cups oats mixture. Add egg to remaining oats mixture, blending until crumbly; press onto bottom of prepared pan. Gently spoon lemon mixture on top, spreading evenly. Add reserved 1/3 cup white chips to reserved oats mixture. Sprinkle over lemon layer, pressing down l i g h t l y .
3. Bake 2o to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on wire rack. Place remaining 1/4 cup white chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 30 seconds or until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Drizzle over baked bars" Allow drizzle to set; cut into bars.

Oh but since it was such short notice, I only had orange juice and oranges so I made it with that instead. But it was still SO GOOD!!

After those, I made a batch of these:


Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 C Butter
2 C Brown Sugar
2 TBL Vanilla
5 C Quick Oats
2 Tbl Baking Powder
6 C Flour
2 pkg Milk Chocolate chips
1 Lg Hershey Bar
3 C Pecans, chopped *opt*
2 C Sugar
4 eggs
1 Tbs Salt
2 Tbs Baking Soda
1 Tbl Cinnamon
1 tsp Almond Flavoring (this is my favorite part! It really makes these cookies special!)

1. Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla into mixture, then set aside.
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Mix two bowls together.
4. Add chips, candy bar, and nuts
5. Shape into golf ball sized balls and flatten slightly.
6. Place inches apart on wax paper covered cookie sheets
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Cookies will be soft

In my haste I failed to remember I didn't have eggs, but Yahoo Answers to the rescue!!! I ended up using 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce per egg. I also didn't add the chocolate bar or pecans...simply because I didn't have any. Ooh, another tip-use Mexican Vanilla if possible, its A-MA-ZING!!

1 comment: