Thursday, November 15, 2012

"Creativity is PIERCING the mundane, to find the marvelous." - Bill Moyers

Today was definitely a good SLP day. I got to spend a lot of it researching Velopharyngeal Insufficiency (do I feel a Ph.D. specialty coming on??). It is really so interesting! I have a little girl who has submucous cleft, a bifid and very short uvula, as well as VPI. Some of the options are: surgery, nasal obturator (temporary), palatal lift (I hate the idea of that for a little girl), and intensive speech. I have had a lot of fun learning about this with her, practicing new treatment (speech laying on the floor to allow gravity to help), new evaluations (yes we did have a straw up her nose), and lots and LOTS of research. Anyway, as I was looking for diagrams to help discuss this with her mom, I came across this


I was, am, will forever be, HORRIFIED! That looks so painful!! This person obviously doesn't have a gag reflex, or has had it desensitized. They are probably like me. Yes sir, I definitely hooked my finger around my soft palate in our voice class as we were all trying to find our gag reflex... too much info? Sorry.
Anyway, back to the ridiculous piece of jewelery in this poor little uvula... whats the point?? (Unless you intend to have your mouth open as wide as possible, all the time..?) So, as I was contemplating this, thinking that this is probably one of the worst ideas EVER, I came across this:


Whaaaaattt?? Why why why, I ask?? Can this person say the /k/, /g/, and /ng/ sounds at all? What the heck? Ehhh, this just makes me shudder. 

Anyway, after finding and saving these pictures, I returned to my previous endeavor (oh no, I used the oh-so-terrible word but I'm too lazy to backspace and erase it!!) of researching VPI and soft palate diagrams. That was much more interesting, pleasant, and satisfying. Really, its been fun to use and learn more about the medical side of speech. The school stuff is great, but this has been a very welcome change!!

No comments:

Post a Comment