Friday, October 26, 2012

"The Life of the Party"

Yesterday was the day that I realized that I am 24. Not only did I realize that I am 24, but I realized that I am happy to be 24. I spent yesterday evening/night at Utah Valley University, watching this:


This was the best show of the night! First it was Parachute (loved it!), then All American Rejects (liked...the music), then Boys Like Girls (loved it!). Of course I can never leave anything at just one sentence, so, here goes!:

Parachute was great, GREAT, GREAT. It had all the necessary components of a good band/show: attractive lead singer (hey, I can be a little bit shallow when I don't actually know them right?), a piano (played by the aforementioned lead singer), a unique and fantastic voice (also the aforementioned lead singer), a smallish crowd, and amazing songs!

After Parachute, things got serious. The amount of people in the room, easily tripled, and I think, tried to fit into a smaller space...I'm not sure how the room got smaller, but it must of...at least that's what my rib on the right side thinks. Luckily we had a boy with us who pushed right up to the almost front! When the lead singer of All American Rejects came out (I don't know his name, but picture Russell Brand mixed with Weird Al with chin length hair, and with pants that are striped on the front and plain in the back-weird?), he started with the f-word, and really it just went from there. He definitely swore a-lot. I mean, like I said before, the music actually was fun! I figured out, however, that it was so fun because it was the music I listened to in junior high. So as I was jumping in this mob of a million people--because I didn't really have any choice but to jump with how close we all were--while Swing Swing was playing, it rang very familiar. Hmmm, was it deja vu? No. No I really had been in that exact same situation before. At BYU Idaho. 8 years ago. At EFY. Shoot... Shortly after, I was separated from Jess and Willie. It started out as just one very short couple (the couple with the elbow in my rib) between us, but then they got further and further away! I just decided to get out of the sweat ridden mass of teenagers and go for a walk around UCCU stadium.

Jess and Willie came out pretty soon, and we watched Boys Like Girls from the back of the room. It was SOOO much more enjoyable from back there! We could dance, talk, hear, breathe...you know, just a few luxuries... Honestly, this guy was awesome-He owned the stage! I couldn't even describe what he did, but it just worked! He was funny, interactive, an amazing singer, good timing, etc... (Ok, so maybe I will try to describe what he did?) I actually like Boys Like Girls even more than I did before!



But...that doesn't take from the fact that most of the people in that stadium were between 12 and 17. Again, shoot.

When all is said and done, the best part about all of that, was that I even though I could only think about how old I was the whole time, I am totally ok with being too old! Yes, it was fun-ish, but I just don't need it. I don't need the jumping, music so loud it changes you heartbeat, near-fights with people to get to the front, high school boys and girls, and screaming at the top of my lungs. This will probably make me sound super lame...but it is the truth...

Yes I had fun. No I probably won't go out of my way to go to a concert like this any time soon.


...at least for a few weeks...

P.S. But I still loved THIS part of the concert:

No comments:

Post a Comment