Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sneaky Work Post

One of the things that I work on with kids is increasing their vocabulary. We can work on vocabulary in lots of ways: synonyms, antonyms, describing, categories, functions, differences, and similarities. So, since you all know how much I love my job, I decided to bring work home with me. Lets work on similarities! Here goes!

What do these two things have in common??
My house

A Buffalo (or a bison, I don't really know, lets not be too technical here)

Need a minute? I'll wait. ...          ...          ...          ...          ...          ...          ...          ...         
You might have said "they are both brown" or "they are about the same size." Well, you would be right (my house is pretty small), but that's not the one I'm looking for. Don't worry, you would have still earned an M&M though!

Any more guesses? 
Maybe your next guesses are "difficult to keep clean" or "always ready for a party." Again, you would be right, but not what this is about.

Here, I'll give you another clue

Yellowstone National Park

Do you have it yet? 

Alright, here's the answer: both the house and the buffalo make you think of Yellowstone National Park, because the places smell exactly the same! Unfortunately, specifically the bathroom and laundry room. Ew gross! That's not what I mean, not because of that.  The reason is this!


That is sulphuric acid. I went to Lowe's and asked for "the most potent drain un-clogger they have" (yes I did use "potent" and "un-clogger" in the same sentence.) I even said, "I need something as strong as stomach acid!" (I heard that stomach acid can dissolve razor blades, after all). What they gave me, was this bottle of sulphuric acid. It is so potent, in fact, that the caution statement says that you have to store it in this bag all the time, wear gloves and protective eyewear during use, leave the room right after pouring it, and put a pot over the drain after pouring it-just in case it explodes out of the drain. I am not even KIDDING! So, because of all the warnings, I was confident that this could take care of the shower drain problem--you know the problem, right? The one where by the end of your shower, you are ankle deep in warm-ish water? Anyway, so I was excited about this! Finally, all my problems would be solved! (Yes, I was that excited about the potential success of this.)
So I read the directions, and did exactly what I was told. Twice. Then I turned on the water, just like it said, and...the tub filled right up. It didn't work, either time! What?! It didn't work!? However, I found out the next day, that obviously it was able to get through the pipes, because I was in my laundry room, and I could barely breathe! It was a massive Old Faithful flashback. Don't get me wrong, I love Old Faithful as much as the next person...but not in my laundry room!

So, let's review, as a result of our vocabulary lesson, we learned that Devery's House, and A Buffalo have many similarities, but the most prominent one is that they both are reminiscent of Yellowstone National Park. Great job, you are such a hard worker! Go ahead and put a star on the board, take 3 mini M&Ms, and head back to class :) 

2 comments:

  1. I totally guessed brown and big without even cheating!

    Dang! So now what?

    I love the end of this blog. And I wish I had some M&MS to go get myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one clogged drain! That stuff is amazing and I have never seen it not work. (yes, I used a double negative.) You should probably just call your landlord and ask for it to be snaked. It seems like they should take care of that for you. You haven't lived there long enough to have you drain clog like that, so it is probably from previous tenants.

    ReplyDelete