Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"Cool and has a feather"

I never thought I'd have a "reputation." Today, I heard something about myself...from a preschooler. Explanation? Of course.
The first thing you need to know, is that I am ALWAYS a step behind on trends. This isn't self pity, or even asking you to feel bad for me-its simply fact.
Example one: Clogs.

While they were popular, I hated these shoes, so bad. I thought they were hideous. (Unfortunately I probably made fun of them...) I think it was approximately one week after they were out of style that I decided I must have them. But alas, I didn't get them.

Example two: Flats.
They looked, weird...like flat high heels (who thinks that?). I swore I would never wear them.
Last  month, my roommates asked me if I even own a pair of high heels, because I "always wear flats, even to church and stuff." Again, started out hating them, ended up loving them.

Example three: Skinny Jeans.
In this case, I didn't really ever "catch on" in the sense that some people did. I definitely do like them more than I did initially. When they first came out, I thought they were ridiculous!! Now, I think they look cute...on other people... I actually do own one pair, but I haven't worn it in months.

Example four: Half marathons
Yes, they are trendy. Even 3 months ago, I would have been the first to tell you that I WILL NEVER do a half marathon because I just don't see the point of running that far, and I have nothing to prove, etc...Well, now I have one under my belt and another one on the calendar...

This brings me to the final example, and inspiration of this post. The feather.
There are constantly changing trends of what is cool and "in" to do with your hair. The feather (the kind they use to tie flies) was one that I caught onto, about a year after it was cool... However, even 7 months after I took mine out, it is officially back in. Last monday I met a new student, a transfer preschool student. In the middle of our conversation, she asks, "Are you the one with the feather?" It actually took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about...but then her mom explained it to me. I guess the SLP at her past school had told her that her new speech teacher is "cool and has a feather!" Well. What do you know? A reputation. "Cool and has a feather" eh? I can deal with that! It would be fun to just say that I am known far and wide across the district :) For anything, really.
So, as in all the times before, I am way behind on trends, because that feather is back in. What the heck? I don't know that it matches my purple that I have, but its in nonetheless...at least for a week or so...

1 comment:

  1. I swore I would never wear flats too but now I feel like that's all I buy! Also, I always love how the feathers look in other peoples hair but I never got one because I thought the trend would pass quickly but obviously I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete