Sunday, September 19, 2010

Worth it?

Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning!
Cheesy-post-alert! Cheesy-post-alert! Cheesy-post-alert! Cheesy-post-alert!

Sometimes I think a little to much, and too deeply. This one may be overkill....

Recently I've been thinking. Thinking about worth. Definition of worth from PrincetonWeb:
  • an indefinite quantity of something having a specified value; "10 dollars worth of gasoline"
  • the quality that renders something desirable or valuable or useful
  • deserving: worthy of being treated in a particular way; "an idea worth considering"; "the deserving poor" (often used ironically)
  • French couturier (born in England) regarded as the founder of Parisian haute couture; noted for introducing the bustle (1825-1895)
  • worth(p): having a specified value; "not worth his salt"; "worth her weight in gold"
Well I, of course, am not referring to the French couturier born in England, and I'm not even really referring to the specified value or indefinite quantity of something having a specified value. The second and third ones are really the most critical ones.

What gives something worth? What makes something valuable, or deserving? Is something just "of worth" to everyone, everywhere? I don't think that is the case. I know for a fact that the picture in my living room of the Osmonds and I, is not worth a penny to many (most) people. To me, however, I LOVE IT! My Little Mermaid pillowcase that I've had since I was three, is on the verge of either unraveling into nothing, or one nap away from a giant Devery's-head size hole, from use. But to me, I would rather have it than a brand new, 9000 thread count pillow sent from heaven. Oh sure, a million dollars is worth a million dollars to everyone...right now. But even the value of money changes over time.


Unfortunately, I've decided that the worth of something, to a person, can change. What was once worth a great deal may not stay the same way. Can someone change the worth of something on purpose? How many people does it take saying: "Its not worth it" for someone to believe it. Can other people even choose, or have an opinion, on what is or isn't "worth it?" How do they know? What does that mean anyway, "worth IT?" Worth what?? Money? Time? Energy? Worry? Conversation? Stress? Gold? Cows? Cakes?

And if you decide "they" ARE right, what steps have to be taken to deliberately change the worth of something? I think, as with the money, it takes time. With time, you can change the worth of something, whether you like it or not.

...and I think, the answer to the question, can other people choose, is yes and no. Sometimes, "they" do know if it is worth it or not. Sometimes "they" know better than you do. There are professionals who can determine, better than me, the worth of a dollar. They have a better understanding, or better picture, of the real worth.

SO...maybe after all this time, it really ISN'T worth it. You don't need to hang on to the worth of a dollar from 1850. Back then, 10 dollars could get you a lot more then it can now. If I try and spend dollars, and expect the 1850 value of something, I'm going to be sadly brought back to real life, in 2010. The question is, do I have the ability to intentionally change the worth of something. I think that I can. Especially for items that contain worth to just one individual.

Hmmm....things to ponder....

No comments:

Post a Comment