Saturday, September 25, 2010

Speech Screenings


As a part of my clinical experience, I get to go to elementary schools and do speech screenings. This is basically where we pull each kindergarten and first grader out of their class, one at a time, and do a quick test to see if they need to be further evaluation for their speech or language, for speech therapy. This is the general gist of the test:

1. Articulation (repeat these words after me)
zipper table grapes bathroom thumb sock chair etc...


2. Syntax (say these sentences after me)

Is she still hiding in the tree house?

My Grandma started the car and took me bowling.

The dentist pulled my tooth
etc...

3. Prepositions (name the location of the pen)

Under On Behind Front Beside


4. Use (what do you do with a...)

Pencil Knife Piano Soap etc...


5. Following Directions (do what I say after I say
go)
Say your name, touch your toes, pull your ear

Stand up, touch your nose, put your hands on top of your head

Clap your hands, close your eyes, and wave at me


Oh my gosh, kindergarteners and first graders are SO SO SO SO cute!! I think I got someone adorable for every single section.
On the first section, there is a list of 24 words, collectively representing each of the sounds. Its so fun because you tell the child to repeat after you, so they will usually say it exactly like you say it. If your pitch goes up at the end, theirs will too. If you say one fast, they'll say it fast. If you say it slow and quiet, they'll say it slow and quiet, and so on...

On the second section, I got a few kids who answer the question.
Dev: "Repeat after me. Is she still hiding in our treehouse?"
K: "Ummmm, yes."

This next one, 3, is the most fun for kids. Most of them, at first, when you ask them where the pen is, start looking and find and say "Right there!!"

For section 4, my most favorite student was actually last year. When I asked him what you do with a knife, he went into this long story about how he hunts with his dad and you use a knife to cut the deer. It was amazing!

The last one, following directions, is the most difficult, but the kids are just so darn cute. Yesterday there was a little boy with a pearl snap shirt, tucked in only in the front, and cowboy boots. When I asked him to stand up, touch his nose, and put his hands on top of his head, he hesitantly stood up, looked at me, then proceeded to sing the entire song, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes...with the actions! Then he looked me for a long time (you know, like 5 seconds) and sat down. It was awesome!! I think he really thought thats what I was asking him to do! I counted it as following directions because he did touch his nose and head throughout that song. It was ok though, because he completed the other two tasks perfectly.

Oh my heck. Yet another day and I LOVE MY FIELD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment