Thursday, July 8, 2010

If we are attacked we can only defend ourselves with guns not with butter

Yep, this girl just made butter. I was looking for an activity for my one of my speech therapy sessions with a 7-ish year old boy. I went on the Zoom website (yep, the pbskids tv show from WAY BACK WHEN! I loved that tv show soooo much! I hyperlinked the website btw so you can find the hundreds of exciting activities on there.) and was looking at different activities and came across homemade butter. It was so easy! 1. Put heavy cream in a jar 2. Shake the jar for 10+ minutes until it becomes butter. I thought...I can handle that. That is about as many steps as it takes to make a pop-tart!


This is not the butter we made, but it was similar!

I was a little bit nervous because I didn't know if my client would like it, but it turns out that it was the perfect activity. He is working on the /er/ sound, so /r/ at the end and in the middle of words. As luck would have it, buttER works!! So while we shook it, we talked all about butter and what you put butter on etc... (Anything to get him to say that word a lot to practice his good /r/ sounds. He had so much fun, and when we were done he said "Its like speech-made butter! Get it Devery? Get it? Speech-made!" I had baked some biscuits that morning so he ate it on a biscuit and thought it was so great. He was so proud of himself, so we decided to take some out to his dad and brother. I can now say that I have made butter from scratch! We had such a good time, and it actually tasted pretty good.

I love being a Speech Therapist! Some of my favorite activities we have done in sessions are the butter, making homemade pretzels, making beads then painting them, shadow puppets, marshmallow bowling, potato stamps, planting a flower, and video taping things and watching it. Holy cow I'm going to be getting paid to PLAY! Ok ok, its more than that, I promise. The activities are just kind of to "trick" the kids into learning to speak well. I have learned so much in grad school though. Our scope of practice is HUGE. It covers articulation (learning to say sounds appropriately), voice disorders, langauge disorders, swallowing disorders, laryngectomy rehab, acute care, long term car, cognition, TBI, Aphasia, accent reduction, reading, spelling, deaf/hearing impaired, etc... So much! It is such a great profession!

No comments:

Post a Comment