Sunday, September 23, 2012

"Courage take! For goodness sake!"

Wow. I tell you what, wow. (15 points if you can name that movie!!) It has officially been 54 days since I posted last. I think that is a new record, and an embarrassing one, to be sure.  I am going to attempt to make up for it, with a 100% complete but actually probably not, update on my goings-on in the last few weeks. Thanks to Meagan Banks for reminding me that I do, in fact, have a blog. (Well, I guess you can decide if you want to thank her or not...). I do not promise that it will be in chronological order. Mostly, I will write things as they come to mind (which is currently being half occupied by Once Upon a Time, so who knows what will happen?).
Well, lets just start with that. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not a big TV watcher--movies, yes, but not TV. I typically have one show at a time that I watch on a weekly basis (on Hulu+ of course). Occasionally, however, I get into a TV series on Netflix. This really is the best way to go, because then you can start and finish a season, without having to wait and wait and wait for the next episode to come out. Once Upon a Time is officially blowing my mind. Seriously. Movies and shows that involve time travel and such have always kind of confused the heck out of me. This parallel universe/fairy tale world is no different. I really have no idea what is really going on half the time, and just when I think that I've got it, they throw me another curve ball, like Prince Charming has a twin (who just died?!), and Rumpelstiltskin is actually The Beast? Anyway, check it out, its pretty cool. This actor cast as Prince Charming isn't horrible either...


**Warning: Yes it is about fairy tales. No it is not a kids show at all!

Work. Yes. I am going to write about work some more. Honestly it is my favorite part of my day, every single day! The second year on the job is 10x easier, and 100x more enjoyable than the first year. I have also found, however, that the students are a little bit more brave, and have a little bit more 'tude than last year also! Even my cute little third grader of 2011-12 is surprising me here as a fourth grader:
One of the articulation cards was a picture of a girl playing soccer, with the label "Soccer Player." This boy gave the card to his "speech friend" and said, "here, you have this, I don't want it!" When I asked why, he said, "It's a GIRL!" Of course I had to ask..."excuse me? Are you saying girls can't play soccer?" Without even a hesitation, he shot back, "No! I just am saying that they can't play soccer well!" I came back with the brilliant response of "Excuse me?" To which he replied, looking me straight in the eye, said, "Well!? My mom told me never to lie!!" Ha!
Then just last week, I was invited to two baptisms by two of my second graders! It was so sweet! One of them even made sure that I like croissants, because that is what they are serving there! How adorable is that??

Food...not my favorite thing ever, but since I was a baker in my previous life, and cooking is one of my favorite hobbies, it does come up a lot. These days, I am in a breakfast rut, but making new discoveries for dinner... Honestly, every single morning I have the same bowl of oatmeal and fruit (the bowl may be permanently stained blue...sorry Lockharts. Really though, I look forward to this, every morning! There is such a difference between quick oats and rolled oats, and I LOVE rolled oats! As far as dinner goes, I have been venturing out from the "uzh" a little bit. I tried a new Thai Peanut Pasta ala Pinterest recipe (excellent), found a delicious Thai Restaurant, Spicy Thai (excellent), and had the, supposedly, "Best Burger in Utah Valley." All along, it was just hiding right on University Parkway, and I never knew! (I mean, I eat so many burgers and everything...I think its actually been a good 6 months+ since my last real burger)

The FAIR! Yes, I finally went to a fair this summer/fall. The Utah State Fair was so fun! We walked around all the booths and crafts and such, then watched the rodeo, which never disappoints! I even got a Henna tattoo - which put my list down to 23 left at that point. Here's a good one of our summer here at the Lockhart/Larsen home:


Sadly, death was also a part of the last month. My poor Miss Ruby died... Once upon a time, I woke up, just like every other morning. Then, I turned off the One Direction-Stole My Heart alarm, just like every other morning. Then I walked into the bathroom to take a shower, just like every other morning. What was not like every other morning, was when I threw my phone, into the toilet. What? Yes, you read that right-well-I guess not totally right. I didn't actually throw my phone in the toilet, it more just, fell out of my hands, into the toilet. I guess, if I am being technical, she only died for a few days, and then came back to life, mostly... Everything worked except for the microphone...which makes it hard to operate successfully as a telephone...However, living a half-life is really no life at all, so I put her out of her telephone/data capability misery. Now I just have a fancy iPod...with a defective headphone jack-dang rice! Its actually not too bad-luckily I still had the ol' little red slider keyboard phone, and my iPhone is kind of a mini-computer. All the apps, etc still work when I am in wifi range, and I can listen to music on my dock, so its not awful.  I am kind of ready to have a smart phone back though, so I secretly won't be sad when this other little phone dies and I am forced to get another new one...

Ooh, the other big news is that I went to Family Home Evening last week!! Yes I did folks, you can call me an FHE go-er, if you wish. Trust me, I know that coming from me, this sounds like a big joke, but its not a lie! Not even a little! I have been involved in my ward since I moved here, but just as far as having a calling, and going every Sunday. I haven't really been doing any of the other activities, so I decided to change that. Turns out, it was a BLAST! My ward is so great!

So, that's as far as I can go right now. Sorry Meagan. I think that I may have let you down again. I wasn't feeling particularly witty today (maybe its the XL hoodie, second day hair, and holey sweats...). But at least, I broke the 54 day streak of not posting!!

2 comments:

  1. Once Upon a Time has been on my mind this whole last week too...I just finished the season on Netflix on Friday...SOOOOOOOOOO excited for it next week. I'm glad I saw the link to your blog on facebook, now I'm gonna stalk you :)

    ReplyDelete