Thursday, March 31, 2011

You're a Speech Path-o-WHAT?!?

Since the beginning of time (okay so the last 5 years) every person who has crossed my path (okay no just the few who were suckered into talking to me) and asked what my major is (since that IS a common topic of conversation where I tend to spend time...school...), almost without fail will say, "speech path-o-what??" At that point I say, "you know, speech therapy?" This is usually followed by one of a few things:
  • "Oh so you are going to torture little kids who can't say their sounds huh? I had to go to that when I was little and hated it!!" What am I supposed to say to that?
  • "I LOVED my speech therapist, she just gave me treats and let me play games!" Yes, that's what I'm getting my Master's degree for, to hand out treats and play Chutes and Ladders.
  • "Oh, so you'll be a teacher." ...nnooo, a speech therapist...
  • "....-blank stare-...so what does that mean?" initiate all-together-too-long description about the huge scope of practice of speech-language pathologists, why I want to be one, how long I have wanted to be one, and what I hope to do. At this point they usually are looking around warily, trying to find a way to make a quick exit...
Anyway, what I'm trying to say, is that, maybe this will occur no more!! I just found out that tomorrow, on April Fool's Day (ironic no?), they will re-release The King's Speech as PG-13. I am so excited! I am definitely going to see it as soon as I can! Click on this link for more information about it.


I am guessing that in the future I will be able to say: "A speech pathologist, you know, like Geoffrey Rush." Thanks Captain Barbossa! I don't think you will ever know how you have eased a conversational burden on my life.


2 comments:

  1. thank you devwey lawsen, you will change kids' lives fow the betta. Also, i don't like the green background. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete